CBS lifts fire ban, but permit still needed for open air blazes
By Craig Westcott/August 19, 2022
CBS has joined the rest of the province in lifting the ban on back yard fires.
Deputy Mayor Andrea Gosse said Tuesday that earlier that day, Fire Chief John Heffernan made the call to lift the ban, which had been in place since July 24 following a fire in Upper Gullies that burned close to seven hectares of woods.
The lifting of the ban follows several days of rain and cooler temperatures after what seems like a record-breaking summer in terms of heat and humidity.
“This decision was made this afternoon after careful consideration by our fire chief and in consultation with the Northeast Avalon fire chiefs,” said Gosse. “Our town will continue to monitor environmental conditions and adjust again if required in the interests of safety. Burn permits are still required within the town of Conception Bay South for open air fires. According to the Town’s regulations an open-air fire means any fire that is caused, set or lit or otherwise ignited outside the confines of any building. It does not include any fires caused, set, lit or otherwise ignited in open air fireplaces, grills, barbeques, or barrels. Stipulations apply and residents are encouraged to read and follow the Town’s Open Air Fire Regulations for more details.”
The ban officially expired at midnight Tuesday.
There was nobody happier about that than Ward 3 councillor Gerard Tilley, who described it as “exciting news.”
“I’d say you’ll be smelling a lot of smoke at five after twelve tonight,” said Tilley. “I’m looking forward to having a fire myself pretty soon too.”