Province promises high tech busing security
By Mark Squibb

Not only did Admiral’s Academy host provincial government officials for a press conference May 1, but the Conception Bay South elementary school also had a book fair. Education Minister Paul Dinn made sure to pick out a book from the hundreds laid out for students to peruse later in the day and bring it to the podium with him. Dinn, along with Transportation Minister Barry Petten, were at the school to announce mandatory school bus registration and new school bus technology to enhance student safety. Mark Squibb photo
Parents will soon be able to track when their children get on and off the school bus.
It’s thanks to new school bus technology, as well as a mandatory registration program for school bus services, which the Province unveiled at Admiral’s Academy in Kelligrews on May 1.
The new technology and registration requirements will be tested at 17 schools before being implemented across the board over the next three years. Of those 17 schools, eight are located in Conception Bay South.
“Families will have access to real-time information on bus locations, service updates, and notifications when students board and leave the bus,” said Transportation Minister Barry Petten. “This added transparency not only improves convenience, it enhances safety and trust in the system.”
Petten said that K-12 students will receive registration cards, which will likely be tied to an app, that they will be able to either tap or swipe when they get on or off the bus.
“I have some concerns with the cards and with small children, but I guess that can be addressed,” allowed Petten. “There will have to be a way of making sure they don’t lose the cards. We’ll have to have a back up plan. But I think that will all be built into the system… Once they get into junior and senior high I’d say students will have the app on their phone.”
On the spot, Petten was unable to say if the new technology would make use of AI.
Education Minister Paul Dinn also spoke to the new technology.
“Parents want to know that their child is safe, they want to know that their child is taken care, and they want to know that their child is where they’re meant to be,” said Dinn. “And that’s an important part of this registration system we’re setting up. Families will gain access to enhanced technology, and they will get real-time bus information, notification, and updates. Most importantly, it gives parents piece of mind knowing that their child has arrived at school, or at their childcare centre, and that they’re on or off the bus.”
Under the new registration rule, all school bus routes, including secondary approved stops at childcare centres, will be finalized before the start of the school year.
“Instead of building capacity for every eligible student, whether they ride the bus or not, we will now be able to plan a service around actual need,” said Petten. “That means a system that is more efficient, more reliable, and better aligned with today’s reality. This change will deliver immediate benefits to families, especially working parents.”
Petten explained that previously, bus routes were tied to home addresses. The new system, said Petten, will allow for more flexibility.
“Parents can now say ‘Pick my child up at daycare and drop them off at home,’ or ‘Pick them up at their dad’s and drop them off at their mom’s,’” said Petten.
The system, however, will not allow for changes on a week-to-week basis.
For example, if a parent typically drives their child to school in the morning but cannot on a certain day due to a change of schedule or illness, the child cannot ride the bus— unless they are already registered.
“You cannot avail of one week in December you may need the bus,” said Petten. “If you’re not using the bus, you’ll lose it. And if you’re not using the bus, why are we making a spot that you’re not using.”
As to whether parents can register their children for a spot on the bus that they may not need as a “just in case,” Petten said the process would be governed by an honour system.
“That’s a fair point,” said Petten. “But it’s an honour system. You hope that people would be truthful. I would hope everyone would be forthright. If my child didn’t need the bus, I wouldn’t sign them up for the bus.”
The new system, including technology, will cost over $5 million, but Petten said it’s money well spent.
“If this doesn’t go good, my phone will not stop ringing,” quipped Petten. “I’m hoping it’s going to go really good because if it doesn’t, I’m going to get a lot of grief.”
The registration requirement will begin in September 2026 for the first 17 schools, which include Queen Elizabeth Regional High, Frank Roberts Junior High, Upper Gullies Elementary, Admiral’s Academy, St. Edwards School, Topsail Elementary, Villa Nova Junior High, and Holy Spirit High, all in Conception Bay South, as well as Family Elementary in Paradise, Mobile Central High in Mobile, St. Bernard’s Elementary in Witless Bay, St. Joseph’s Elementary and King’s Academy in Harbour Breton, St. James Elementary and St. James Regional High in Port aux Basques, and LeGallais Memorial Academy in Isle aux Morts.

